Some features of a home are meant to be enjoyed by the homeowner and won’t necessarily add value to the home when it’s time to sell.
1. Extensive landscaping. Putting in a koi pond or water fountains won’t necessarily add any extra value to your home. If you enjoy those things and you want them in your yard, by all means put them in your yard. But don’t do it if you’re just looking to add value to the property.
2. New roof, gutters, sprinklers, or a furnace. Granted, these items may need to be replaced if it’s that time for them to be replaced. However, putting in these things just for the sake of them being new will not add any value to your home.
3. A swimming pool or spa. Again, these items are very personal preferences. If you’re going to enjoy them while you’re still at the home, then by all means, put them in. But they won’t necessarily add any value to the home when it comes time to sell. Some potential buyers, especially those with children, will see a swimming pool more as a liability than a plus.
4. Painting your house. Paint goes a long way to making your home look better, but it won’t necessarily add value to your home. Of course, if your home needs to be spruced up or you’re changing the outside of the house from a loud to a more neutral color, then it’s worth the investment. Again, it won’t add any additional value but rather convince the buyer to pick your home over the next one that they see.
5. Solar panels. This is a highly personal choice to install solar panels on your home. Some people will see the value and some won’t. It can be a good marketing feature, but don’t think you can put solar in your home and drive up the value of your house. It’s hard to put a price on this kind of feature.
As with any of the items on this list, if you want to put them in your home because you will enjoy these features, then by all means go ahead. But if you’re just making these changes to drive up the value of your home, then it’s not worth the effort.
If you have any questions about this or any other real estate topic or you’re looking to buy or sell a home, please give me a call. I’d be happy to help.