Grand Junction Living in Grand Junction: Real Estate, Amenities, Utilities and More!
Grand Junction is the largest city in western Colorado that is known for its unbelievable scenic beauty – no surprise when considering it is located at the junction of the Colorado River and the Gunnison River. It is also surrounded by the Grand Valley, the Bookcliffs, the Grand Mesa and the Colorado National Monument, which consists of the famous red sandstone formations. The city itself is one of the most desirable places to live in the state because of the fact that it has a very suburban vibe without lacking the amenities of a city, something that is a big selling point for those with families. See All Grand Junction Listings
Grand Junction is often referred to as a suburb without a city due to the fact that it boasts a community-like atmosphere which consists of friendly neighborhoods and an excellent school system as well as the many amenities often found in larger cities. In addition to being able to explore the stunning outdoor beauty of Southwestern Colorado as well as Northeastern Utah, residents can enjoy several wine tours, visit a number of museums and check out some exciting yearly festivals and events that include Spring Barrel Tasting, the Downtown Art and Jazz Festival, the Colorado Mountain Winefest and more. This makes Grand Junction perfect for active couples looking for a culturally enriching and peaceful place to raise a family outside of the city while still retaining the many activities and attractions that city life tends to offer.
Grand Junction, CO’s Real Estate Market
There are several options when looking for real estate in Grand Junction. You can purchase homesites that are located on only 1/3 of an acre or that are located on several acres due to the massive amount of open desert space surrounding the city. There are also many master planned communities that boast newer contemporary single-family and luxury homes. Ranch-style and split-level-style homes are also available among the other architectural styles.
Featured Neighborhoods in Grand Junction, CO
- Appleton – One of the more affluent neighborhoods in Grand Junction. The majority of the residents here are couples, many of which are raising families. The Appleton Elementary School is located within this area.
- Redlands – The Redlands neighborhood is a master planned community that’s home to a world class golf course and is located only 5 miles from downtown Grand Junction.
- Rosevale – This neighborhood is a beautiful family-friendly area consisting of mostly single-family homes and condos.
You’ll Enjoy: Outdoor Adventure
When you consider the surrounding areas, it should be no surprise that there are practically an unlimited amount of outdoor activities that you can participate in. The following are few of the more popular outdoor attractions in and around Grand Junction:
- Fossil Digs – Have an interest in unearthing ancient fossils and learning about the history of the area? Then go to a fossil dig at Dinosaur Digs, which is held by The Museum of Western Colorado. You’ll be able to choose from a number of expeditions, in which you’ll get to help museum scientists excavate fossils, look for dinosaur tracks and search for new sites.
- Hiking – There are tons of hiking trails around the city that you can explore. Two of the more popular ones include the Rattlesnake Canyon Arches Trail and the Riggs Hill Dinosaur Hiking Trails.
- Horseback Riding – Soak in the views while on horseback on horseback riding trails such as the Gunnison River Bluffs Trail and the trail in Dominguez Canyon.
- River Rafting – If you’re looking for a real adrenaline rush, then you can use Grand Junction as a base for river rafting trips down the Green, Gunnison, Colorado and Yampa rivers. Some of the river rafting outfitters in the area include Catfish Canoe Co., Rimrock Adventures and Adventure Bound River Expeditions.
Grand Junction Dining Guide at a Glance
Grand Junction is made for strolling through the streets and enjoying what Colorado naturally offers, fantastic evenings filled with great food and company. Several local dining hot spots have made Grand Junction not only a destination for the outdoors, but the place to be for dining of all sorts. Take a look at some of our favorites below:
Distinguished Schools in Grand Junction
- Scenic Elementary School | K-5 | 451 West Scenic Dr
- Appleton Elementary School | PK-5 | 2358 H Rd
- Redlands Middle School | 6-8 | 2200 Broadway
- Central High School | 9-12 | 550 Warrior Way
Perfect For: Family Friendly Lifestyles
Most families want to avoid raising their kids in the city, where the friendly small-town atmosphere doesn’t always exist. Grand Junction is akin to a large suburb with all the amenities a family could want, with attractions and activities for both kids and adults available. The excellent school system is another huge draw for those looking for a place to raise a family.
Grand Junction, CO’s Utilities
The Workforce: Education and Health
The biggest employer in Grand Junction is the education system, both in the form of the Mesa County Valley School District and the Colorado Mesa University. The health industry is the other top employer in the area with the VA Medical Center, the Community Hospital and St. Mary’s Hospital all employing a large number of Grand Junction residents.
Why Live Here: A Balanced Life
There are very few drawbacks to living in Grand Junction, Co. You’ll never get tired of the scenic beauty, nor will you ever run out of things to do, whether it’s exploring the outdoors or enjoying the amenities that are usually only found in the big cities. Not to mention the excellent school system and the plentiful employment options, thereby making Grand Junction an ideal location not just for families, but practically everyone!
- Other 109
- Redlands Mesa 62
- Parachute Park 23
- Hawk's Nest 23
- Pabco Industrial Park 20
- Smith Estates 18
- Pinnacle Ridge Subdivision 17
- Mesa Estates 16
- Wildewood Sub 14
- Walnut Estates 12
- Redlands Mesa Peaks 12
- Aspen Village 12
- Arrowhead 11
- Indian Road Ind 11
- Adobe Falls Fil 1 10
- Metes & Bounds 10
- Mountain View 10
- Springfield Estates 9
- Spyglass Ridge Fil 2 9
- Monarch Ridge 9